Fight Night 3 ...and more
Firstly, in response to Oberst:
I notice the 3 games you have played are Oblivion, Fight Night and Blazing Angels. From experience, Oblivion looks AMAZING! I watched Seth play just a tiny bit, and between that and the videos I can confidently say I will be purchasing it soon.
With that said, I played the Blazing Angels demo and thought it was TERRIBLE! The controls were klunky, the gameplay just was not fun to me...
Now finally...onto fight night... This is the only sports game I own for 360 right now, the others being Quake 4, PDZ, PGR and Halo 2. I know that PGR is racing, but it's not EA Sports, so to me...not a sport... I also know Halo 2 is more an Xbox title than 360, but I seem to play that more than most other games combined still... Anyway...back to FN3...
I have only found one flaw with the game: when a person is knocked down, you can see up their shorts such that you can see inside the modelling they used for each person.
With that said, let me now gush:
The game is the sole reason I got into boxing in the first place. The graphics give the feel of a real bout, even the training gives you a sense of accomplishment when you're done (try the punching dummy...I got over 200,000 points once having made only one error in the very beginning...) The customization is absolutely incredible, you can customize to the extent of making a person that looks almost identical to yourself! You can edit the nose size, shape, chin size, shape, lips, mouth, cheeks, forehead, position of any facial feature, physique, size, weight, tattoos, shorts, gloves, other accessories, hair color, hair cut, skin color...I can't even think of any more but I know that they are there. (many many many...)
The most fun feature of FN3, in my opinion, are the controls during fighting. Using the joystick, you have to move it around in such a fashion that it gives you the sense you are putting momentum behind your swings. Smacking someone in the face or gut with a haymaker is one of the most satisfying forms of punishment I've ever undertaken. I blame this game for making me a virtual-sadist. The sounds, the commentators, the music...all great.
Overall, this is the first sports game I've given above an 8 out of 10. As a matter of fact, this is only the third game I've ever given above a 9 on any platform. Halo 2...of course...and Warcraft 2 being the only other games to receive the honors.
FN3, JS's verdict: 9.6/10
I will be providing my ratings for games I play on this blog, provided no one has objections. I would like to see other people's opinions too!
To give you all a sample rundown of previous game ratings:
These are all the highest rated games, and as I was only a recreational gamer prior to a year ago, most of these games are newer. Comments, arguments, questions are always welcome.
*Halo 2: 9.8/10
*Fight Night 3: 9.6/10
Warcraft 2: 9.4/10
Age of Empires 2: 8.9/10
*Wik: Fable of Souls: 8.9/10
NHL Hitz 2002: 8.8/10
*Call of Duty 2: 8.8/10
Black and White: 8.6/10
Kings Quest VI: 8.5/10
*Quake 4: 8.1/10
Keep in mind, the older games were rated at the time at which they were new (as compared to the other games then available.) *Available for Xbox 360.
If you would like to read any review I've written, just ask! I will be writing one for: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 soon...
~JS
I notice the 3 games you have played are Oblivion, Fight Night and Blazing Angels. From experience, Oblivion looks AMAZING! I watched Seth play just a tiny bit, and between that and the videos I can confidently say I will be purchasing it soon.
With that said, I played the Blazing Angels demo and thought it was TERRIBLE! The controls were klunky, the gameplay just was not fun to me...
Now finally...onto fight night... This is the only sports game I own for 360 right now, the others being Quake 4, PDZ, PGR and Halo 2. I know that PGR is racing, but it's not EA Sports, so to me...not a sport... I also know Halo 2 is more an Xbox title than 360, but I seem to play that more than most other games combined still... Anyway...back to FN3...
I have only found one flaw with the game: when a person is knocked down, you can see up their shorts such that you can see inside the modelling they used for each person.
With that said, let me now gush:
The game is the sole reason I got into boxing in the first place. The graphics give the feel of a real bout, even the training gives you a sense of accomplishment when you're done (try the punching dummy...I got over 200,000 points once having made only one error in the very beginning...) The customization is absolutely incredible, you can customize to the extent of making a person that looks almost identical to yourself! You can edit the nose size, shape, chin size, shape, lips, mouth, cheeks, forehead, position of any facial feature, physique, size, weight, tattoos, shorts, gloves, other accessories, hair color, hair cut, skin color...I can't even think of any more but I know that they are there. (many many many...)
The most fun feature of FN3, in my opinion, are the controls during fighting. Using the joystick, you have to move it around in such a fashion that it gives you the sense you are putting momentum behind your swings. Smacking someone in the face or gut with a haymaker is one of the most satisfying forms of punishment I've ever undertaken. I blame this game for making me a virtual-sadist. The sounds, the commentators, the music...all great.
Overall, this is the first sports game I've given above an 8 out of 10. As a matter of fact, this is only the third game I've ever given above a 9 on any platform. Halo 2...of course...and Warcraft 2 being the only other games to receive the honors.
FN3, JS's verdict: 9.6/10
I will be providing my ratings for games I play on this blog, provided no one has objections. I would like to see other people's opinions too!
To give you all a sample rundown of previous game ratings:
These are all the highest rated games, and as I was only a recreational gamer prior to a year ago, most of these games are newer. Comments, arguments, questions are always welcome.
*Halo 2: 9.8/10
*Fight Night 3: 9.6/10
Warcraft 2: 9.4/10
Age of Empires 2: 8.9/10
*Wik: Fable of Souls: 8.9/10
NHL Hitz 2002: 8.8/10
*Call of Duty 2: 8.8/10
Black and White: 8.6/10
Kings Quest VI: 8.5/10
*Quake 4: 8.1/10
Keep in mind, the older games were rated at the time at which they were new (as compared to the other games then available.) *Available for Xbox 360.
If you would like to read any review I've written, just ask! I will be writing one for: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 soon...
~JS

3 Comments:
Looking up the shorts?! Must be a feature... This game is so realistic, you can look up the boxers shorts as they fall.
Covert Neo
By
sgim, at 1:08 PM
...and what do you see? NOTHING! That's the point, there's a glitch where the fabric doesn't move to cover up the leg properly, so you can see how the model was created...again...for being the only complaint I must say it's quite deserving of the rating I gave it.
~JS
By
JS Beckerist, at 2:16 PM
I picked up FN3 first because I played it on Abe's 360. I don't like fighting games usually and I didn't even think twice about picking this one up.
As for BA, yea, the flight controls are a little odd but it's visually stunning and the on-line play is good so far.
I must say that it may be my imagination, but Halo 2 seems to look better on the 360. I might be projecting...
By
Spanner, at 3:55 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home